Monday, September 22, 2008

Any excuse to bake!

I got two new recipes and decided to welcome Fall with some yummy cookies.

First, I tempted Bakerella's cake balls. I was thinking about making some for Hudson's birthday party so I wanted to give them a whirl. Instead of red velvet, I did French vanilla cake with cream cheese frosting and I dipped them in white chocolate or semi-sweet. They are okay - I don't think I like the store bought frosting. Next time, I may try them with homemade frosting.
(If you want to know the best way to make these, here's what worked for me. I baked the cake in a 9x13 pan on Thursday. I crumbled the cake and mixed it with the frosting on Friday. I put it in the fridge for a few hours then rolled the balls on Friday night. I let it freeze overnight and dipped the balls in chocolate on Saturday)
For some reason, blogger keeps rotating this picture, but you get the idea.

I had alot more success with Jaime's pumpkin pizzelles. These are much more cakey than traditional pizzelles. For example, you can fold them and they will bend, not crack. I wasn't sure I was going to like the texture. Then I rolled a few, filled them with maple frosting, and sprinkled with pumpkin pie spice. Now we have a winner!!
I used my Aunt Coll's frosting recipe and just added a few squirts of maple syrup. If you're trying to recreate this, just make a basic icing and add as much syrup as you think it needs to have a maple flavor. I probably added 3-4 tablespoons.
The perfect "side" to a great cup of coffee on a cool Fall day!

4 comments:

Amanda said...

Too cute! I've made cake balls several times and they are fabulous. I can't believe that Nieman Marcus gets $75 for a box of them!

Tami said...

This is awesome..I've found another Steelers fan who likes to make cake balls!

Like you, we are cheering for the Steelers from another state. (NC for us).

Your cake balls look great. I have pumpkin decorated cake balls that I made on the main page of my blog. You've given good tips for making the cake balls. :)

Tami said...

I forgot to say that your pumpkin pizzeles look incredible! I bet that these are so good!

Valerie said...

You're a regular ole Rachel Ray! Those look delicious!