Tuesday, August 25, 2009

30 isn't so bad....if you have a wonderful husband...

After all of the worrying and the tears, this is what I woke up to today:Well, that and an adorable toddler insanely happy over the abundance of balloons, a loving husband, and a dozen of red roses. The day only got better as I had a spa date with a massage, manicure, and pedicure, followed by a (child-less) dinner out at Ruth's Chris. My husband took care of the details (making reservations, arranging for a sitter, etc). As if that wasn't enough, he gave me a card in the car and explained that my gift was a weekend away at the Congress Hall Hotel in Cape May, NJ with an oceanview room at the end of September. Later at dinner, I told him that he really shouldn't have and he went into an explanation for his motives, expressing how grateful he was for all that I do for him and for Hudson and for all of my patience with his long work hours. I just stared at him in amazement. Is he for real??? And is he really mine???? How did I get so lucky?

I've been meaning to write a post for days now to sing Ryan's praises and I think now is an opportune moment. What he did for me today was something that I'm so grateful for. Had he stopped with the balloons and roses, I would have been head over heels (he knows that I love balloons and flowers, yet he never gets them for me, so it was the thought behind the gesture that left me speechless). But Ryan's actions today are but a small glimpse into the wonderful soul that he is.

The real reason that I wanted to write a post for him was more about the way he treats Hudson. He is a better father than I could have imagined. He never bats an eye at parenting responsibilities. He never shies away from the challenges. He has more patience than I thought one person could possess. But above all of that, he wants to do these things. He gets home from work and rushes to be Hudson's play mate. If Hudson wants to go to the park (which is a given), he takes him. Not only will he take him, he will tell me how much it melts his heart to have Hudson lead him to the door and hand him his shoes. The love that pours out of his voice is something that can't be put into words. He successfully balances the demands of his career with making sure that his priority is his family. He apologizes when he can't help around the house and makes every effort to split our chores. He recognizes the importance of discussing key aspects to our parenting and to our relationship, such as how to approach religion with Hudson. In fact, his generous gift of a weekend away speaks to his attention to the needs of our relationship as husband and wife. He realized that we were getting burned out and needed some time to focus on us. In short, he's unlike any man that I have ever met. And I count my blessings that he's mine.
While my birthday was so special and everything that Ryan did for me exceeded any expectation that I had, I really want to thank him, not for today, but for every other day, when his partnership is in response to the daily routine rather than for a special occasion. Knowing that he is by my side, through thick and thin, in poopy diapers and vomit-soaked clothing, makes this new decade seem much more bearable. I love you Ry!

4 comments:

jpournaras said...

You word everything so perfectly:) Ryan definitely sounds like a keeper and I am so glad he made such a big day of your birthday! Sounds like he started your 30s out wonderfully! Now you have a getaway to look forward to! Happy Bday again!

Elizabeth said...

That is such a sweet post, I'm glad you enjoyed your birthday!

Unknown said...

That's so sweet! Happy Belated Birthday!

Unknown said...

yeppers Jenn, he's a keeper. You are both blessed to have one another. As an "old" married woman of 19 years, I can say the the best is yet to com!!!