Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Some new recipes

The nice weather has me cooking some of my old summer classics and some new favorites, so I thought I would share some.

Ever since I visited my good friend, Alexandra, and her sister, Alexis, and brother-in-law, Alexander (try keeping those names straight!) a few years ago, and Alexander made mango salsa, I've been hooked! Heck, growing up in Pgh, I don't even know if I ever had mango before that day! Anyways, I made some last night and I'm enjoying it now. It tastes so good the next day once the flavors have all soaked together. I'll try to post a "recipe", but it's really just a list of ingredients.

Mango salsa
2 mango, diced
1/4 of a red pepper, diced into small pieces (I like to use the alligator for this)
About 1/5 of a purple/red onion, again diced into small pieces with the alligator
1-2 teaspoons of cilantro
Juice of one medium to large lime
drizzle of olive oil
salt and pepper

Combine in bowl and serve with tortilla chips or over chicken/fish.
I should say that putting too much onion or cilantro in ruins it for me, so I would suggest putting in less than you think is necessary and just keep tasting and adding if necessary. I told you this wasn't so much of a recipe! Very imprecise!

I also tried this recipe from Cooking Light and it was delicious! I went with the chipotle powder instead of ancho since I don't like spicy food and it was still really spicy. Next time, I'll cut the amount of chipotle powder.
Ancho Chile-Beef Fajitas with Mango
I served with guacamole and chips (I made my own guacamole, not the recipe listed here).
I should mention that it's supposed to be a 40 minute meal, but to make it more weeknight-friendly, I would probably do all of my chopping the night before.

I don't think I posted this recipe before, and I'm not sure how I overlooked it since it's SO delicious! My friend, Kristen, recommended it and Ryan and I love it! It's also SUPER easy (just need to marinate overnight).
Grilled Marinated Flank Steak

Happy eating!

No comments: