Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Hope you're hungry!

I didn't mean to turn this into a recipe blog, but I've tried some really great things lately and want to share! I love the transition from "winter" to "summer" recipes!

Bread salad with cranberries, spinach, and chicken

This was yummy, but my complaint with all Cooking Light recipes is that they seem to take so long to make! The prep is pretty time-consuming (cubing and toasting bread, prepping the vinaigrette, etc. ). But this was delicious. The only change I made was that I drizzled the bread with a little olive oil and sprinkled some seasoning on before toasting. The fennel and coriander made a great rub for the chicken! I'll be making this again (and will be prepared for the 45 minute prep time).

Chicken orzo salad
Can always count on Rachael Ray for an easy recipe! This was so yummy! In the magazine, the tip she gave was to shave the parmesan with a vegetable peeler. It worked really well. This will definitely be in our summer rotation.

Mango and brie quesadillas with black bean soup
Due to my love of mango salsa, I thought I would try to incorporate it into a meal. So, I made my version of mango salsa and bought some whole wheat tortillas and spreadable brie. I put a little canola oil in a pan, heated, then put in a tortilla with brie spread on it. I spooned the mango salsa onto that tortilla and then topped it with another. I flipped it when the bottom was getting golden and crispy. I served it with this easy black bean soup. I didn't include the jalapeno since I don't do spicy food. I also thought I had couscous, but I didn't, so I threw in some quinoa. The soup was okay, but putting sour cream and chopped cilantro on top really made it taste great. Nice and easy!

No comments: