Tuesday, March 17, 2009

It was good while it lasted...

Our one giant leap forward a few weeks ago has been met with a few steps backwards. Those few nights of glorious sleep are just a dream at this point (I'm still not sure if I was actually daydreaming them or if I'm now stuck in a nightmare).

Right after I posted my last sleep message, I hit "Publish Post" and then I heard it. Those shrilling screams of exhaustion that I thought we had conquered. I guess Hudson was going to teach me to brag about his great sleeping skills! Ryan was trying to get him to sleep, but he was hysterical unless Ryan put his hand on him. The screams were heart-wrenching (worse than our first few nights of training), so Ryan obliged. You obviously know where this got us...Hudson wanting us to put our hand on him until he falls asleep. We fell into the trap that the Sleep Lady warned us about: "Don't replace one sleep crutch with another." Hudson outsmarted us at our own game.

Since that dreadful night, he's been pretty difficult to get to sleep (I'm actually typing this while Ryan is sitting with him in his room. It must not be going so well because I'm 2 levels below him with the office door closed and I hear his cries). As if that's not bad enough, he's waking up 3-4 times a night now.

On a positive note....3-4 times is less than 7-8 times each night! Also, it's much easier to get him back to sleep in the middle of the night. I can just lay him down, put on his music, and stand there for a minute or two.

I'm doing lots of complaining here, so I just wanted to end this post with a positive reminder of how Ry and I are getting through these sleep issues....just look at that face!

2 comments:

Ben and Cori Momma said...

I'm so sorry that the whole sleep thing has taken a step back. I'm sure that it's extra frustrating on top of being physically tired from not sleeping well again. I hope this passes for you - if he was able to sleep better once, he will be able to do it again I am sure. (((hugs)))

Emmy said...

Ditto Beth! I hope it gets better for you soon. He's such a handsome little man, love that pic! :)