Wednesday, January 27, 2010

You know you're a mom when....

I've been thinking about this post for a few days since it seems I have so many "mom tags" these days. And I laugh when I think of how different my life was 2.5 years ago. I'm sure there are many lists like this out there, but these are my mom tags. Please feel free to add yours in the comment section.

You know you're a mom when...

...you could be on the show "What not to wear". Just today I ran errands in the following attire: non-maternity grey sweatpants that were clearly too tight, and therefore also wore some VPLs, Uggs pulled up haphazardly over the sweats, a nursing tank, a hoodie that was too large, a red pea coat, severely overgrown eyebrows, dark circles under my eyes, and greasy hair. I kept looking for Stacey and Clinton to be filming secret footage.

...you have a children's show theme song stuck in your head at any given moment. For me, it's usually "It's signing time with Alex and Leah..."

...you know more about the features of your stroller than you do about the features of your car.

...Friday and Saturday nights are no different than a Tuesday night.

...you're more familiar with the local preschools and story times than you are with the local bars and restaurants.

...you don't think twice about wiping boogers off of your child's face with your bare finger.

...you are personally responsible for keeping the snack food industry in business.

...your car is littered with random toys and snack foods.

...you have NO idea what the hottest songs on the radio are.

...you and your husband have full conversations with spelled-out words. "Hey, I'm going to take a b-a-t-h. Can you watch the kids?" "Sure. Should I give him m-i-l-k or j-u-i-c-e while you're up there?"

...you don't remember the last time you slept without a little foot or hand kicking or hitting you all night long.

...you're a master stain remover.

...you learn that Mr. Clean Magic Erasers do more than just clean your bathroom. They also remove crayon from anything.

...your house looks like FAO Schwartz.

...you know every creak the floor and door of your child's room make and are an expert at avoiding them.

...you don't bat an eye when you find a matchbox car or stray cheerios in your purse.

and lastly...

...you don't care how cliched this phrase is because it captures your feelings perfectly: You truly know your a mom when you see your heart outside of your body.

3 comments:

Life with Pog & FLeC said...

I love it! One thing that hit me was when I didn't bother changing my wallet and necessities from the diaper bag to my designer purse even if I was leaving M at home. I just didn't care any more. Bags used to be a big deal to me.

Anonymous said...

...you can name all of the cars in Disney's Car's and explain their relationships with each other, same with Thomas the Tank Engine.

...getting up at 7:30am feels like sleeping in - especially if you haven't had to get up during the night.

and here's my cheesy one

...you realize how wonderful it is just to sit there and love someone!

This was a great post Jenn!

jpournaras said...

This is why I love reading your blog! What a great post and so true!