Monday, December 8, 2008

Our first hematoma

I have obsessively documented all of Hudson's firsts, from first foods to first steps. This weekend brought a new one...his first (and hopefully last!) hematoma.

On Saturday evening, after his bath, Ryan asked me to look at Hudson's gum in the back. There was a big purplish bump on it. In fact, it looked a little like this (disclaimer: this is NOT a picture of Hudson):

A bit panicked, I called the on-call pediatrician. As I explained the lump, she automatically diagnosed it as a hematoma due to his 12 month molars coming in. She explained that sometimes the tooth bursts a blood vessel before erupting through the skin and forms this hematoma and that it's nothing to worry about. She advised against her grandmothers method of healing a hematoma - rubbing the gum with a golden thimble (I have no idea why it was a "golden" thimble - I was too horrified by the thought of this to ask.)

It looks like a little molar is making it's way through now. After a few weeks of long, sleepless nights full of crying (usually by me...it was that bad, seriously!), I think we're on the road to quiet nights. After almost 13 months of multiple awakenings, Hudson only woke up ONCE on Friday night. Saturday night wasn't as good and Sunday was a step in the wrong direction, but I'm holding out hope!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sorry about the hematoma, but yay for getting some sleep!!! It is seriously life changing!

Now I'm going to be obsessively checking B's gums.