Thursday, December 4, 2008

The innocence of a child

I was coming home from school today and Silent Night was on the radio ('tis the season!). When I heard the lyrics "Son of God, love's pure light" I got a bit choked up thinking about Hudson for a couple of reasons.

1. I was just reminded that he (and all children) truly are miracles. I'm not quite sure what I did to be worthy of such a blessing, but I'm grateful every day. Being a mother (and wife) brings a fulfillment that is indescribable.

2. I thought of how simplistic items can bring him such joy (specifically, I was thinking about him being in awe of Christmas lights). This led me to think about his curiosity in everyday things and I was amazed by his development. I can't even begin to write how proud I am of him for learning his sign language. And that's just the beginning of his accomplishments. My train of thought caused me to think about all he will do in his lifetime and how he is the future of the world. It's almost too much for me to comprehend. Pride is an understatement to the emotion I was feeling when I looked into our future.

3. Lastly, I began to think of Hudson's innocence. He has yet to know what "hate" is. He doesn't understand "disadvantage". In his world, there is no such thing as "inequality" (unless you're comparing peas and cookies - clearly not "equals" in his eyes!). My professional work is in stark contrast to Hudson's world, where I deal with disproportionality on a daily basis. In Hudson's eyes, the world is full of love, a place where smiles and giggles are a part of everyday life. Everyone is a potential friend and playmate. I hope that I can take a cue from Hudson this holiday season (and all year through) and see life through the eyes of an innocent child.

1 comment:

Emmy said...

that's such a nice post :) I love his toothy grin.